028 8224 3621


Child custody advice for fathers

Fathers who need help agreeing post-separation arrangements, including child contact, can receive an initial confidential consultation simply by getting in contact with Aoife Laird at our John Street, Omagh office.

Whether face-to-face or by telephone appointment, Aoife will listen to your concerns and help you understand your options so you can make the best decisions for your family moving forward.

With years of expertise in the field of family law, Aoife understands fully how being separated from your children is tough for any parent.

We’re here to help with all aspects from emotional to financial to legal.

Aoife said, “Many fathers are ill informed as to their rights. We can often assist you here, whether the advice is required before separation or a divorce.

“When a family breakdown occurs, often the child ends up residing with the mother. Invariably this means that the father will need to formally seek contact with his child.

“The grant of custody / residence does not lessen the rights of the father in any way. In fact it is only a statement confirming that the child’s primary residence is with their mother. A father’s right to have contact with his child is determined on whether he has parental responsibility.

“Unmarried fathers have automatic parental responsibility if they are named on the child’s birth certificate and the child was born on, or after, 15th April 2002. They can also acquire parental responsibility if they have jointly signed a Parental Responsibility Agreement, which is something that can be done at any stage during a relationship or separation.

“However, it is not to say that in all cases, children go to live with their mother. Each case is dictated by the parties circumstances and first and foremost what is in the best interests of the child/children. There can even be shared residence/custody arrangements. However, some Judges are reluctant to have a child or children do this if parties do not agree.”


We appreciate that contacting a family lawyer to discuss divorce, separation or child custody can be daunting. We have many years of experience and built a strong reputation for providing clear advice that is aimed at helping you through your difficult time. Speaking to our Solicitors will help to bring clarity about your situation.

Whatever the problem we will provide a sympathetic and practical approach to help you resolve the situation and move on with your life.

These are complex issues and will involve huge personal and financial decisions to be made. We can provide expert legal advice in the areas of divorce, separation, child contact and residence disputes.

Contact our friendly and trusted solicitors today.

For further information please give us a call on 028 8224 3621 or email: info@mcgalekelly.co.uk

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Comment